Saturday, November 17, 2018

Hymn Notes: The Day Is Surely Drawing Near (CW 207)


Among the hymns we sing, there are some that are more solid, more moving, and more comforting than others.  Sometimes, it is an entire hymn that does it.  Occasionally, it is a single verse.

It might seem odd to some that a hymn regarding Judgment Day would provide such a comforting verse, but "The Day Is Surely Drawing Near" (207 from Christian Worship: A Lutheran Hymnal) does just that in stanza 5.  We will sing it this Sunday, but I think it would be worth memorizing and singing throughout the year.

My Savior paid the debt I owe
   And for my life was smitten;
Within the Book of Life I know
   My name has now been written.
I will not doubt, for I am free,
   And Satan cannot threaten me;
There is no condemnation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to recurring spam, all comments will now be moderated. Please be patient.