Saturday, July 17, 2021

Worship Notes: Amen

We are accustomed to a number of ancient and foreign words in our worship. These words and phrases have a long history in western Christendom, even reaching back to Old Testament believers.  They have been retained in their original language, or perhaps updated from Hebrew to a Greek or Latin equivalent.  Some quick examples:

Alleluia / Hallelujah -- The former is based on the Greek; the latter is based on the Hebrew.  It means "Praise the Lord."
Kyrie Eleison -- Greek (KEE-ree-ay  El-LAY-ee-son) for "Lord, have mercy."  
Sabaoth -- We still sing this in the older version of "A Mighty Fortress."  Lord God Sabaoth (SAH-bay-oath, not sabbath) means "Lord God of armies or hosts".  Sabaoth is a transliteration from the Hebrew.
Sanctus -- Latin for "holy"
Agnus Dei -- Latin (AHN-yoos  DAY-ee) for "Lamb of God"

Perhaps the most frequently used foreign, ancient word is Amen.  It is used in the New Testament most often by Jesus, "Amen.  Amen.  I tell you...."  But it is also a liturgical word from Christian worship.  It originates from Hebrew ("I believe") and is kept in Greek.  Luther, in his Small Catechism, defined it as "Yes, yes, it shall be so."

The use of Amen has been distorted somewhat, at least in the little corner of Lutheranism I serve.  Often, the pastor uses Amen to punctuate his own prayers or sermon.  While I can't say this is wrong, it seems that Amen is being taken away from the people who really should be saying it: God's people who have gathered.

St. Paul referred to a liturgical use of Amen in 1 Corinthians.  He wrote: "That is why a person who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. So what is to be done? I will pray using my spirit, and I will pray also using my understanding. I will sing using my spirit, and I will sing also using my understanding. Otherwise, how will an uninformed person say the “Amen” after you give thanks, since he does not know what you are saying? To be sure, you are giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up." (1 Corinthians 14:13-17)  In other words, the people who have gathered for worship add their Amen to assent to what has been spoken.  They declare it to be true.  They embrace it as their own confession or prayer.  

It still is used this way after the Invocation, the prayers, and the Benediction (though not always).  Beyond that, however, it seems to be neglected.  Does the congregation recognize the sermon has been faithful to God's word?  Do they assent to it and confess it as their own?  An Amen would be say so.  I have made it my practice to conclude each sermon with the Trinitarian Invocation "In name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" which sets up nicely for the congregation to add their Amen.

Another place where an Amen would make a strong confession is at the reception of the Lord's Supper.  The following exchange is familiar in some places.  It would be a wonderful addition to our own congregations.

At the distribution of the host.
Pastor: The body of Christ,
Parishioner: Amen.
Pastor: given for you.

At the distribution of the cup.
Pastor: The blood of Christ,
Parishioner: Amen.
Pastor: given for you.

This is an opportunity for each person who receives the body and blood of Christ to confess: "Yes.  It truly is the body and blood of my Lord.  It is no mere symbol or representation.  Pastor, you have declared upon these elements the words of our Lord: 'This is my body' and 'This is my blood.'  Amen.  I believe it to be so."  Not every Christian would confess that.  An Amen does.

I have been instructing various people that "Amen" is your word.  Of course I assent to my own sermon.  Adding my own Amen seems a little redundant.  It is the congregation which is to assent with an Amen (or, if they must, to protest by withholding it).  Amen has been taken away from the people who should be using it (though not maliciously).  Both pastor and people have parts to participate in the Divine Service.  God's people should use their voices.  Amen is one of the ways God's people participate, and they should embrace their words of praise.

Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to recurring spam, all comments will now be moderated. Please be patient.