Sunday, February 12, 2023

BIBLE BITS: Leviticus 10 -- Addendum

I recall some years ago that we had a guest join us for worship.  I had met him a few weeks earlier.  Our conversation convinced me that he had saving faith in Jesus, although he said that he had not yet been baptized.  I informed him that we needed to correct that.

Then, on the Sunday he had joined us or worship, he came to the altar for Holy Communion.  (For the life of me, I can't remember if I had politely blessed him or actually gave him the sacrament.  I hope it was the former.)  In any case, I spoke with him after church.  I told him that it was appropriate that he be baptized before receiving Holy Communion.  Baptism is the adoption into the family, and Holy Communion is the family meal.

It made perfect sense to him, but I recall the look of horror on his face that he had done something out of order in God's house at God's service.  

Now, I did not threaten him with hellfire, and God did not strike him down, either.  But he demonstrated a proper respect for the holy things.  He knew that he had no right to approach God on his own terms, even though he intended no ill will.  God tells us how to approach him, and he had great respect for that.  And for that, I respected him all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to recurring spam, all comments will now be moderated. Please be patient.