Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Divine Call received

On Sunday, November 19, I received a Divine Call to serve at Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church in Wautoma, Wisconsin.  Below are letters I composed.  The first is a letter of acknowledgement which was sent to Peace in Wautoma and was read at Good Shepherd on Sunday, November 26.  Below that is a letter sent to the members of Good Shepherd to explain what receiving a Divine Call means and what it does not.  

Comments, words of insight, and prayers are welcome. 


= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Greetings in the name of our Savior.

Dear members of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church,

I am writing to acknowledge that on Sunday, November 19, I received a Divine Call to serve as your pastor.  I thank you that you have considered me for this high privilege.

For the past 27 years, I have had the privilege of serving at Good Shepherd Evangelical Lutheran Church in Novi, Michigan (metro Detroit).  Over the next few weeks, I will be considering the challenges and possibilities of each congregation, as well as my own strengths and weaknesses, so that I may determine, to the best of my ability, where I may serve the Lord’s kingdom best.

My wife, Laura, our family, and I welcome your prayers and your insights.

My contact information is:
Cell phone (call or text)       (248) 719-5218

Email                                      welsnovi@aol.com

Mailing address:                  41441 W. 9 Mile Road
                                                Novi, Michigan 48375-4306

God bless and keep you.

In Christ,

Pastor Thomas E. Schroeder

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Greetings in the name of our Savior.

On Sunday, November 19, I received a Divine Call to serve at Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church in Wautoma, Wisconsin (about 90 miles north of Madison). 

The last time I held a call to another congregation was back in 2008.  Since it has been over 15 years since Good Shepherd has experienced its pastor deliberating a call to another congregation, I thought it would be worthwhile to alert you to the calling process, what it means, and what it does not mean.

The calling process:  In our synod, district presidents (similar to bishops) will assemble a list of candidates at the request of a congregation who is seeking a pastor, perhaps because the pastor from that congregation retired, died, resigned, or accepted a call elsewhere.  He presents the vacant congregation with a list of pastors who are eligible to receive and consider a call to that congregation.  The congregation does not go hunting for their own pastor or put out feelers for applicants.  We draw from within our own synod so that the doctrine and practice remain confessionally Lutheran.  Of the people on the list of potential pastors, Peace Lutheran Church in Wautoma selected me.

When a call is extended, the Holy Spirit works through a congregation to find a man who will serve them.  The call that Good Shepherd has extended to me has not been terminated; the call to Peace has been added.  Therefore, I am currently holding calls to two places where I may serve as a pastor—Good Shepherd in Novi and Peace in Wautoma.  The Holy Spirit is allowing me to decide where I can serve his church.  While neither decision would be sinful, I pray that the Lord makes it clear which decision serves his kingdom best.

What it does not mean: It does not mean that I have to move.  These are not marching orders.  It does not mean that I am looking for reasons to leave or that I am unhappy serving where I am.  I did not submit my name to be considered for the call list for Peace Lutheran Church or for any other list.  For all I know, my name has been on several lists over the past few years but was never selected.  There are currently about 190 pastoral vacancies across our synod, so the fact that a congregation called me was practically inevitable.  For what it is worth, Peace Lutheran Church in Wautoma has been without a pastor for just over a year, and a retired pastor is covering the services there.

What it does mean: Over the next few weeks, I will be communicating with people from Wautoma as well as from our congregation and others in the area to determine where I might best serve in God’s kingdom.  I welcome your prayers and your thoughts.  If you have questions about the calling process, I will gladly answer them for you.  

I don’t have a deadline right now for when I would announce a decision.  Usually, decisions are formed in about a month’s time (enabling me to assess challenges and possibilities in both locations, as well as how my own strengths and weaknesses come into play), but that puts us right up to Christmas which might affect that timing.  I will not let any announcement detract from the Christmas celebration.  Our focus should be on the Christ child, not on me.

I should also note that, as I deliberate, I will be making comments which may sound like I am staying or that I am going.  Please don’t draw any conclusions by those comments.  It is just part of how I deliberate as I consider plans as if I were going and as if I were staying. 

Once again, I welcome your insights and your prayers.

God bless and keep you.

In Christ,

Pastor Schroeder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to recurring spam, all comments will now be moderated. Please be patient.