Wednesday, October 13, 2021

A GOD-LIVED LIFE: Private Devotions

           We are in a series of sermons with a Stewardship emphasis. Stewardship, ultimately, is about our entire life. We use what God gives us to his glory and for the good of our neighbor. Over the next few months, we will consider the various ways we use the gifts God gives us as is God-pleasing.

          Each month, I will be sending out an email to further encourage what we pondered on the first Sunday of that month. In this way, the thoughts do not perish by that Sunday evening, but each one can give intentional consideration how he or she may put into practice what was proclaimed as a God-pleasing way to serve him.

          For the month of October, we continue to consider what it means to have A Life of Being a Disciple.

A GOD-LIVED LIFE: A LIFE OF BEING A DISCIPLE

Week #2      Private Devotions

            Psalm 119 includes this prayer: “How can a young man keep his way pure?  By guarding it according to your word.  With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!  I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.  Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes!  With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth.  In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches.  I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.  I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word” (Psalm 119:9-16).

            The Scriptures urge us, repeatedly, to ponder and to meditate on the word of God.  It is through the Bible that God speaks to us.  He reveals his truth for our encouragement, comfort, strength, direction, and hope. 

            When we take time for private devotions, it is not just that we are taking time for Jesus.  Far better, it is that Jesus is taking time with us.  He speaks to us, and we get to consider carefully what he wants us to know and to do.

            I suppose we could view this as just another thing to cram into an already busy day.  I will bet your children don’t feel that way about the time they want to spend with you.  You are not an item to be checked off a list.  They want your attention and affection.  How much more does your heavenly Father desire this!  And what a blessing to have a heavenly Father with whom we can spend our time.  He will never find it inconvenient or say he is too busy for you.  So, rather than just plow through a devotion just to say you got it done, intentionally set aside time to spend with the Lord in his word.  Read a little and ponder a lot. 

Some thoughts to consider while pondering: Why does the Lord say this?  What is he telling me about himself?  What is he saying about me?  What direction is he giving?  What promise is he making?

There are many forms of private devotion.  You can read portions of the Bible.  You can use a devotional book and read what others have gleaned from the verses you are considering.  You can get your devotional resources in hard-cover, in paperback, online, or in an app.  If you would like some suggestions for particular devotional materials, speak to your pastor.

A couple of recommendations.

The Word of the Lord Endures Forever -- a daily (Mon-Fri) 15-mintue podcast.  It is a verse-by-verse Bible Study by Pastor William Weedon (LC-MS).  It is a confessional, Lutheran commentary.

Meditations -- a daily, short devotion based on one of the lessons from the previous Sunday.  Written by WELS pastors.  Booklets are at church.  Online subscriptions are found at the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to recurring spam, all comments will now be moderated. Please be patient.