Friday, October 25, 2019

For Your Amusement -- Rik Emmett guitar solos

YouTube is especially good for nostolgia and amusement.  Both came together when I stumbled across this recording Rik Emmett who was the lead singer and guitar player for the Canadian rock band Triumph.  (I think he did much more than that for the group, but I am not overly familiar with his background.)

In any case, when I was in high school, I would listen to Triumph and owned a few of their albums.  Typically, I would listen to the songs on the album I knew and would skip over the others.  Eventually, I learned to take a chance.  If I liked what I was familiar with, perhaps I would like other recordings.  So, I let the album run its course.  If I am not mistaken, one of these two songs on the YouTube video was the final song on the side of the album (and maybe it was both, they both sound familiar).

I remember being stunned to find this kind of guitar virtuosity on a rock album.  It was a great surprise, and it is a pleasant surprise to run across it again.  Here is Rick Emmett playing Fantasy Serenade and Midsummer Daydreams on acoustic guitar.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to recurring spam, all comments will now be moderated. Please be patient.