Sunday, August 4, 2024

Health Update: Set-back #1

The first round of chemo on Monday, July 29 went very well.  I felt great going in, and great coming out.  In fact, I felt great into Tuesday.  Then, on Tuesday evening, I hit my first set-back.

We were told that if I had a fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, I needed to go to the ER.  Tuesday had me at 102, and later in the hospital at 102.4.  The concern, of course, was with infection.  So, I was admitted to a room about 3 AM on Wednesday, July 31.  They began antibiotics and drew blood for lab work to find out where the infection might be.  As for me, Wednesday was a lot of sleeping in between all the fuss they made over me.

By Thursday morning, the fever had broke and I was feeling much better -- except for hiccups that ran for about 24 straight hours.  Every four seconds (yes, I timed it), a hiccup would come.  While a rare side effect, it is not unheard of.  It was not painful, but it surely was annoying and made getting back to sleep more difficult.

As Thursday rolled into Friday, all tests for infection proved negative.  To be cautious, they kept me hooked up to anti-biotics until Saturday.  Finally, I was discharged around 4:00 PM, although my patience was taking a beating by that time.  I was ready to go about 10:00 AM, and then wait, wait, wait.......

So, now I am home.  The levels of caution the doctors told me to have vary a bit.  One doctor would like me isolated until about Christmas.  I don't see that as an option.  I was told to avoid crowds.  That is understandable.  But what about nursing home chapels?  Shut-in visits?  Hospital visits?  Conducting a funeral?  For some activities, I should still be able to maintain a distance from people.  I keep a good six feet or better between me and others while conducting a service or teaching a Bible Class.  Perhaps I will not be able to greet people with handshakes or hugs for a while, even though that makes me feel cold and distant.  And (sigh) I may have to mask up again in some places.

It remains to be seen just how cautions I should be, and I don't have an answer for that, yet.

Chemo treatments will continue as scheduled.  The next one will be Monday, August 19.  I hope that my reaction from the first treatment is not what is to be expected for all subsequent treatments.  But if so, at least everyone will know what to expect the rest of the way.

Thanks to those who arranged me getting the Sunday service covered today.  I know Pastor Gibbons was excited to preach a sermon again after retirement kept him on the sidelines for seven months.  I hope he enjoyed his well-earned afternoon nap.

Again, I am ever grateful for the prayers and willingness to help with ministry as much as others can.  The evidence of Christian love and concern is evident, and I want to be sure to acknowledge it.  If I ever am slow to express thankfulness, please accept my apologies.

God bless and keep you.

In Christ,
Pastor Schroeder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to recurring spam, all comments will now be moderated. Please be patient.