Friday, August 21, 2026

Worship Notes: Amen

Almost everyone is familiar with the word, "Amen."  We use it to punctuate our prayers.  We use it to express agreement with someone, even in secular settings.   In Luther's Small Catechism, the reformer taught our children to learn the definition as, "Yes, it shall be so."

The word comes from the Hebrew, which can mean "truth" or more specifically, "I believe, I trust."  Jesus used it to express a solemn truth.  We are probably more familiar with the King James Version's translation when it says, "Verily, verily..."  The recent Evangelical Heritage Version opts not to translate it at all.  It has Jesus stating, "Amen, Amen, I tell you..." 

Amen shows up repeatedly in our liturgy.  It is often said by the wrong person, however.  The word "Amen" is a response to the pastor's words.  It is not the pastor's word; it is the people's word.

In St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians, he mentioned how Amen was used liturgically in their services.  In this context, St. Paul was addressing people who spoke in tongues during the service (a topic worthy of commentary, but beyond the purpose of this post).  St. Paul wrote, "That is why a person who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret.  For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.  So what is to be done?  I will pray using my spirit, and I will pray also using my understanding. I will sing using my spirit, and I will sing also using my understanding.  Otherwise, how will an uninformed person say the “Amen” after you give thanks, since he does not know what you are saying?  To be sure, you are giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up" (1 Corinthians 14:13-17, emphasis added).  The "Amen" was the response of one worshiper expressing agreement with the speaker.  By adding his "Amen," he was saying, "Yes, that is true, and it is my confession, too!"

Amen is the people's word.  It is said after the invocation.  The congregation assents, "Yes, the Triune name marks us, too."  It is said after the prayers.  The congregation assents, "Yes, that is our prayer, too."  It follows the Benediction.  "Yes, let the name and the blessing of the Lord rest upon us."  It can be said in other places, such as in response to the sermon.  Somehow, it became the custom for the pastor to punctuate his sermon with, "Amen."  Of course, the pastor agrees with his own sermon!  Hopefully the congregation does too.  There should be a place for the people to voice their "Amen" to assent to it.

As the preacher, I have no desire to have people shout out "Amen" during the sermon.  That would be disruptive and distracting--not only to me, but to others as well.  It also leads to the preacher fishing for "Amens" (Can I get an Amen?) during the sermon.  Fabricated praise seems to ring hollow.  If the congregation would like to add their assent to the sermon, it is teed up nicely for you.  The sermon concludes, "In the name of the Father, and of + the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."  This allows the congregation to add their assent very easily.

Amen can also be used in connection with the Lord's Supper.  It makes a nice confession, too.  Consider this response as the elements are distributed:

Minister:                  The body of Christ...
Communicant:   Amen.
Minister:                 ...given for you.

Minister:                  The blood of Christ...
Communicant:   Amen.
Minister:                 ...given for you.

The communicant makes a confession:  Yes, it IS the body of Christ I am receiving.  Yes, it IS the blood of Christ truly present.  A Protestant (e.g., Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal, etc.) would not be willing to add their Amen since they believe the elements are merely symbolic.  Lutherans believe that it is the body and blood of Christ, and our Amen confesses it to be so.

These expressions of Amen have a long, historic use in Christendom.  It may be unfamiliar to WELS Lutherans, having fallen into disuse among us for various and sundry reasons.  But some practices are worth restoring, especially when they make a good confession.  

This practice is explained for you, but it is not to be forced upon anyone.  If people feel a little awkward adding their Amen, I would not presume to think they are denying Lutheran doctrine.  People are free to take up this practice or not.  But with any rite or ceremony, everyone should understand the "Why" behind it so that no one is scandalized if someone does adopt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to recurring spam, all comments will now be moderated. Please be patient.